To mark International Women’s Day (March 8), we look at how women can help empower each other through simple acts of kindness…
I grew up on The Spice Girls, Madonna, Oprah and Nigella. I have always been surrounded by strong women, they have always been part of the world I live in.
And that’s a great thing, because I never once felt that my gender could stop me from doing anything… well other than taking a very quick pee at Glastonbury!
And yet, we find ourselves marking ‘International Woman’s Day’, as an important reminder that so many of our friends and sisters around the world, do not have the same freedom as us.
We are the lucky ones
While I like to think that we’re extremely lucky in the western world, much progress is still to be made in other parts of the world.
Countries where gender inequality is still a huge issue, where girls are forbidden from going to school or having jobs. There are places where forced marriage and suppression of individuality is rife and sadly in some communities where FGM is still practiced.
But I am glad that we live in a world that wants to change this. A world where inspiring young women like Malala Yousafzai stand forward. As she famously once said
“Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.”
I’m not political, I don’t know how we can make things better, other than to talk, communicate and share our support and allegiance to other women, especially on this day.
But these are big issues we can’t conqueror overnight. But on a much smaller scale, we can help each other every day…
- When we see a parent struggling on public transport with a buggy – give them a hand
- Give up your seat for a pregnant woman
- Give a parent priority over a parking space
- Support friends that ask for your guidance
- Nurture young women in your office – be THAT role model – champion their talent
- Be kind to a Mum who has returned to work from maternity leave – she’s probably been up all night
- Lend a hand (or an ear) to your elderly neighbour who has little interaction with others
Helping each other is on our doorstep, it’s something we can all do, every day, but especially on March 8th.
For more please visit http://www.internationalwomensday.com/
If you liked this post, you’ll enjoy reading more about GOT MILK here>>>
Don’t forget to LIKE us on Facebook and subscribe to our monthly NEWSLETTER!